What is the future of MRI technology in industry?

Hi everyone!
I am a new PhD student about to enter the field of MRI. After doing extensive literature review and information collection for a few months, I found myself starting to doubt the future of MRI, especially for industry. I feel very sad for this and I know this is absolutely not a good thing for a new PhD student, so I came to this website and would really appreciate anyone that could correct my thoughts.
Here are my observations:
(1) For the acquisition and sequence development part, the sequences that are routinely used in hospitals have been there for decades. New contrasts are being created in acdemia, but it seems that few of them found their roles or key applications in diagnositics. A T1 or T2 weighted image can already fullfill the needs of radiologists in most cases.
(2) For the reconstruction part, it goes without saying that the advent of ML/DL and compressed sensing greatly improved the reconstruction speed and image qualities. However, this may be the only major development of MRI reconstruction in the past few decades.
As a student who is keen to joining the industry upon graduation, I now really fear that there would be no job opportunities for me, as MRI has become a very mature technology and R&D may no longer be needed by manufacuters. How do you think of this? These are all my humble opinions as a newbie student so any opinion would be much appreciated…

1 Like

Hi there.

I would dispute basically all of the points you’ve made. I am not going to outline all of the new developments in MRI sequence and reconstruction technology, but you can find whitepapers from vendors on clinically-available sequences being released every year, including compressed sensing, parallel imaging, MR fingerprinting, elastography, ultra-short/zero echo time imaging, etc. This is not even including the novel postprocessing research and advanced multishell diffusion tensor imaging, AI segmentation and lesion detection/diagnostics, noise-reduction analysis, etc. Look at the recent history of lung MRI for respiratory diseases (especially cystic fibrosis) for an example of how things such as UTE/ZTE have changed in the last 5 years.

You mention that T1 and T2 images make up the bulk of diagnostic imaging. That is always going to be the case, because T1 and T2 are fundamental contrasts by which MR imaging works. This is like saying that CT won’t have any new developments because diagnostic images just measure radiation absorption. Computers still use transistors and semiconductors that have been around since 1948, but I wouldn’t say computing research is “dead.”

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with @Tim_Rosenow! To add a few examples to the list of exciting new MRI areas to be explored, PDFF is playing an increasing role in NAFLD / NASH clinical trials, MR Fingerprinting and Synthetic MR are a major area of development, Hyperpolarized MRI shows a lot of potential, and there is clearly much work to be done on the increasing number of 7T scanners. That’s not to mention the worlds first 11.7T install - hopefully we’ll see in vivo images soon!

1 Like
Category icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com