Post-Doc position in Cognitive Neuroscience: University of Reading
Term : temporary
Type : part-time
Location : University of Reading, Reading, UK
Salary : £30,942 - £33,797 per annum pro rata
Apply here : University of Reading | Jobs | Search here for your perfect career
Closing date for applications : 15/10/2021
Please reply to post below with any questions.
Vacancy reference: SRF37072
Post Title: Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (PDRA)
Grade: Grade 6
Reports to: Prof Ciara McCabe
Responsible for: N/A
This is a post-doctoral research role to contribute to and develop the research work on an industryfunded project led by PI: Ciara McCabe at the University of Reading https://www.mccabe-nrg-lab.com/
and https://www.reading.ac.uk/Psychology/About/staff/c-mccabe.aspx. The post holder will specifically perform a neuroimaging project to examine the reward response in the human brain to sugar compared to sweeteners combined with modifiers.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Undertake research under the supervision of the PI Ciara McCabe
• Assist the programming of fMRI experiments and collect and maintain the data produced under the supervision of the PI
• Contribute to the writing of papers for publication in leading academic journals and other relevant media
• Disseminate research findings and establish a national reputation through participation in national conferences, exhibitions etc.
• Help with Ph. D. projects on relevant topics examining reward processing.
• Implement research methodologies that add to knowledge and understanding appropriate to the discipline
• Collaborate with colleagues within the University and with external stakeholders in the development of original research
• Provide specialist advice to other staff within the University on fMRI analysis skills
• Use initiative and creativity to synthesise, analyse and interpret fMRI research data
• Carry out independent research and supervise the work of other researchers in the group
Leadership & Management:
• Work closely with and ensure good communication between colleagues within the University and among project partners more broadly.
• Participate in project group meetings
• Contribute to departmental presentations or seminars
Enterprise & Outreach:
• Liaise with industry partners and clients external to the University
• Attend relevant seminars, conferences, exhibitions, and other events
• Contribute to writing and presenting client reports
The post holder will be supervised by Professor Ciara McCabe. Guidance and training will be provided at every stage. Post-doctoral researchers in the School receive mentoring from senior academic staff.
Additional training and supervision will be provided from other members of the research team and/or School as required. Training and experience through the attendance of international meetings and workshops will be encouraged.
It is expected that the post holder will liaise with other academics and researchers within and beyond the lab. There will also be contact with people who participate in our project-related experiments.
Terms and conditions
The post is available for at 0.6 FTE or 3 days/week, fixed term for up to 18 months. There are no specified hours of work, but you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out the duties associated with the post. Overtime is not payable.
This document outlines the duties required for the time being of the post to indicate the level of responsibility. It is not a comprehensive or exhaustive list and the line manager may vary duties from time to time which do not change the general character of the job or the level of responsibility entailed.
Date assessed: 29/09/2021