NCITA Oncology Workshop
Dr Daniel McGowan, Principal Clinical Scientist (University of Oxford) provides an introduction to ‘Legislation and Regulation around Nuclear Medicine’.
- Types of background and environmental radiation
- UK Radiation Protection Legislation, mitigation and ways of preventing contamination
- Overview of Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) 2016
- Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IRMER) 2017 and the application of IRMER aimed at protecting patient from over-exposure or accidental exposure.
- Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) for acknowledging the use of ionising radiation in clinical research studies, the UK HRA Radiation Assurance process including the role of the lead Clinical Radiation Expert (CRE) and lead Medical Physics Expert (MPE)
- Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC) regulations.