19F and 1H MRI using same scanner

Is it possible to perform 19F MRI scans using devices already in clinical use for 1H MRI?? What changes should be made to make it possible? I will be grateful for the publication on this topic.

1 Like

yes, if you have multinuclear capability on that clinical scanner. Unfortunately, most clinical scanners do not have it, since it is an expensive upgrade. Easier to do on small animal scanners. See our papers for a description of what is needed.

4 Likes

On a pre-clinical scanner, you can expect to buy a double-tuned coil for 1-H and 19-F. E.g., I once used a double-tuned quadrature birdcage for a Bruker 94/20; IIRC, there were 4 or 8 tuning and matching wands poking out of one end.
On a clinical machine, the frequency selection and (possibly) tuning will be under software control via the sequence parameter editor - it’s been many years since I saw manual tuning implemented on a (home-built) clinical scanner.
So, look for a menu that says something like “Nucleus”, and if you don’t see Protons and Fluorine both available as options, get in touch with your supplier and expect to receive a hair-raising quote for a new coil.
I hope that helps … :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank You so much. It helped a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like
Category icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com